National School Counselor Week- Martha Montoya-Sanchez

#BetterTogether

Mariah Martinez

Martha Montoya-Sanchez and Dania Saiz

National School Counseling Week is February 7-11, 2022 to focus public attention on the unique contribution of school counselors within U.S. school systems.

Martha Montoya Sanchez is not just a counselor at Northbook but she is an important part of our CIS program. The mission of Communities In Schools (CIS) in Texas is to surround students with a community of support, empowering students to stay in school and achieve in life.

Montoya-Sanchez attended Our Lady of the Lake where she obtained her Bachelors degree. It was founded in 1895 by the Sisters of Divine Providence, a religious institute originating in Lorraine, France, during the 18th century. The Texas chapter of the institute still sponsors the university. She felt proud to go to a school where it served a Hispanic institution and directed towards first generation students. She achieved her Graduate degree at the University of Houston from the Graduate College of Social Work.

Her favorite thing about her career is being able to express to students that their feelings and emotions are valid. Montoya-Sanchez “encourages students” with her welcoming atmosphere and affection. She believes that our experiences at Northbrook matter, as well as our voices. Montoya enjoys when a student has felt heard, she takes pride in knowing she is able to give back to her community.

In her time away from students, she enjoys listening to various podcast and eating out with friends and family. 

If you ever need any school supplies, or help with clothing, you can always stop by in Room B114.