Lady Raiders Soccer – History Made

Ladies Soccer team huddles together after their game against Stratford High School.
Jennifer Perez

The Northbrook 2023-2024 ladies soccer team had an exceptional season. They entered the season with definitive expectations such as working hard to get great results out of every game, but most importantly to show improvement.

Coach Shifatu, the head coach of the Lady Raiders was very careful with his expectations. He knew what he was doing and worked very hard to coach the girls to the max which eventually led them to become the strong team he knew they were capable of. One of the main things they had to work on was fitness. During the break, fitness was a top priority to help them prepare for the tournament games and the season that was coming ahead. They knew that if they pushed through, it would all pay off eventually.

With all the hard work and dedication the ladies made, they ended up winning 1st place in both the tournaments they performed at. The lady raiders won the C.E. King tournament defeating Galena Park 4-1, Alvin 4-0, and Dayton 7-1. Then performed at a Goose Creek Memorial tournament defeating Porter 7-1, Crosby 2-1, and C.E. King 3-0…with these wins they were able to advance to the top of the bracket facing Goose Creek Memorial (GCM) in the semifinal. The GCM game was played with a lot of intensity and the lady raiders won with a score of 1-0 which then led them to the final. In the final they faced Crosby again and it was a really tough game, but the lady raiders pushed through with a last minute goal that led to a 2-1 victory over Crosby again!

All of these successes did eventually pay off and it made the team very happy. The team consisted of many talented players who seeked to always work hard and push to the limits. The lady raiders had a wonderful district season ending with the record of (8-5-1) winning the 4th place position and heading to playoffs. This was the very first playoff appearance game in 5 years!

Unfortunately, the lady raiders were defeated by Lamar with a score of 1-0, but there was a lot that was learned over the course of the season.

It was an amazing season that came with incredible support. they will be back even stronger next season….GOOO RAIDERS!!!